Generally GIS-data is available on a complete other scale than CAD-users need for their projects.
Importing that GIS-dataset into a CAD-environment gives an overkill of data. It would be very useful to add connections to the feature layers in GIS, limited to the area needed for the project.
This is possible by using AutoCAD Map/FDO Data Connect and a Spatial Query. But this is not very user friendly. That is why vdPConsulting has developed a displayMngr plugin.
This is the workflow:
- Make sure that the desirable feature layers are connected, by using a pre-defined template or so called .layer files.
- Load the displayMngr plugin.
- Start the command “filterWindow” or “filterCrossing”.
- Indicate the desirable area by picking two points on the map.
- The plugin creates the SQL filter statements and “inject” these into the definitions of the connected feature layers.
If you want more information about using AutoCAD Map/FDO and GIS-databases or the displayMngr plugin, please contact me.
There is a web-version available of the AutoCAD Map 3D 2013 User Manual online on the Autodesk website.
seen on Autodesk Labs
Project Artoo for AutoCAD Map 3D 2013 is a free technology preview that lets you cleanup your geospatial data to improve the quality and accuracy of the data.
You can use the standard AutoCAD Map cleanup tools to correct common errors like for example under- and overshoots in AutoCAD entities that can be introduced during digitizing, importing, surveying, scanning, and drafting. With Project Artoo however, you can perform cleanup operations on FDO-connected data stores, including SDF, SQLite, ESRI SHP, geodatabase files or Microsoft SQL Server and Oracle databases.
AutoCAD® Map 3D GIS and mapping software offers easier access to design, GIS, imagery, point cloud, and business information from a broad range of sources, including ESRI, Bentley, Oracle, GE, and other software providers. By using comprehensive data models for the gas, water, wastewater, and electric industries, you can organize disparate asset information and apply industry standards and business requirements to your data.
Convert GIS and CAD Data to Intelligent Industry Models
With AutoCAD® Map 3D 2013 software, GIS professionals, planners, and civil engineers can more easily create and manage intelligent industry models by converting GIS and CAD data. Users can populate a new industry model from FDO data sources or DWG™ files and map feature classes and attributes. Then, convert the data to a model and save the database as a DWG/DWT file for use in future projects.
Access to Industry Models in More Formats
GIS professionals, planners, and civil engineers can access industry models in Microsoft SQL Server with AutoCAD Map 3D 2013. With the enhanced FDO provider, users can work with enterprise industry models on SQL Server as they do Oracle® systems.
Data Access & Editing
Improved capabilities to access and edit data from more sources enabling you to use your AutoCAD capabilities to edit data.
- Standalone industry models
- Consistent AutoCAD editing tools
- New coordinate systems framework
- New & enhanced FDO providers
Planning, Analysis & Publishing
New tools for planning, analysis and sharing of information enabling you to better plan for projects.
- Rich CAD & cartographic display styles & labeling
- New analytic capabilities for industry models
- Enhanced DWG™ output
- Improved grids & graticules
Data Modeling & Management
Powerful tools for the modeling and management of infrastructure information.
- Extensible vertical industry data models for desktop & enterprise
- Industry specific workflows & business rules
- Powerful administration tools
- Customizable attribute forms, Reports